Sex, Safety & Respect Training for Universities
With the support of The Hunting Ground Australia Project, the Full Stop Foundation has worked with Professor Moira Carmody to develop a range of educational resources and training for university staff and students.
All programs are delivered by educators who have been specifically trained to deliver sexual violence prevention education in multiple settings including universities. They are highly skilled and have extensive backgrounds working as counsellors with sexual assault survivors, and as educators.
Programs for Students
Understanding sexual consent & preventing sexual violence in universities
This 3 hour workshop is designed for student leaders within housing, student housing providers and student leaders in key positions to influence the behaviour of their peers and campus culture. The workshop introduces students to:
- Key concepts concerning sexual violence in the Australian context
- Legal responsibilities, including ethical use of digital media
- The Sex & Ethics Framework for ethical consent developed by Moira Carmody
- Skills in being an ethical bystander
Staff who successfully complete the 4 day Educators Sex & Ethics Training Program can apply to deliver this program to students.
Programs for Staff
Ethical leadership to prevent gender based violence in universities
This 4 hour workshop is for university staff working in student housing, senior academic staff, and academic and professional staff from other key departments in the university.
Areas covered include:
- An overview of the latest best practice violence prevention research
- Leadership skills around creating zero tolerance of sexual and other forms of gendered violence in universities
- Participation in several activities from the Sex, Safety and Respect Training Program for students
- Skills in responding with compassion to sexual assault disclosures
- Trauma centred principles underpinning support services and complaint polices and procedures
Sex, Safety & Respect: Educators Sex & Ethics Training Program
This comprehensive training program of 28 hours is designed to prepare university staff from student housing and support services such as counselling, equity and diversity, student services and other key support staff nominated by university and housing providers, to become skilled educators in providing short training workshops with student leaders. It requires attendance at face-to-face workshops over a 4 day block or two 2-day blocks. It can be tailored specifically to the needs of an individual university or can involve staff from multiple universities.
The program content is based on an adaptation of the highly successful Sex & Ethics Program which has been run across Australia and New Zealand since 2007. It has been tailored to address the particular needs of university students from diverse cultures and other backgrounds, and to address sexual consent and relationships. Educators participate in all activities of the Sex & Ethics Program to understand their own ethical stance and the skills they need to effectively deliver the program to diverse students.
- Diverse views about sexuality and gender including culture and faith
- The Sex & Ethics Framework for decision making
- Understanding other people's desires and needs – skills in verbal and non-verbal communication
- Skills in ethical consent in casual and ongoing relationships
- Ethical use of social media
- Competing desires in relationships
- Standing up against sexual violence as an ethical bystander
In addition, educators are provided with in the moment training tips and opportunities to practice delivery skills. On completion of the program staff may be able to deliver the 3-hour Understanding sexual consent & preventing sexual violence in universities program for student leaders. Staff who are accepted for program delivery will participate in the program's Quality Assurance Plan and will be licensed to offer the program for two years.
Quality Assurance Plan – Successful completion of the training program requires ongoing Quality Assurance provided by Full Stop Foundation staff. Initial Quality Assurance takes place on the first instance of delivery, with follow up at the 12 and 24 month marks.
Licensing – A two-license fee is included in the cost of delivering the 4-day educator training.
Download a flyer of training options available for universities
Contact us for more information or to discuss your particular needs:
Phone: 02 8585 0371